In this previous post we explain why is important take care of ASO (AppStore Search Optimization) and we introduce an amazing tool called sensortower.com that simplifies and brings a methodology for continuous improvement in your keywords and much more.
It’s designed to track your apps in the stores but also helps you before launching a new app. In this case we will explain how we used to select the keywords based on few parameters provided by this tool.
When you’re launching a new app you need to choose the related keywords. But how could we know if they’re the right ones?
We follow these easy steps:
- We take note of each keyword that make sense related to our game.
- We use keyword research for each one:
You will see 5 parameters, values between 0 and 10:
- Traffic: estimated traffic generated by this keyword.
- iPhone/iPad difficulty: score for this keyword on iPhone/iPad
- iPhone/iPad apps: how many apps are listing using this keyword
You must start selecting all the keywords of your list with:
- traffic > 0
- difficulty < 1.5 (it’s a good score to start)
When your app could rank high with “each” keyword you could consider try others keywords with higher difficulty.
Of course this is a cycle-based process. You must track how your keywords are performing and improve continuously. You can track keywords in a easy way with keywords ranking:
Brainstorming – Keyword Spy
It’s also good idea to look your competitors about which keywords they’re using.
You could take a look with the keyword spy tool:
And that’s it for the moment.